February 27, 2019
We’re sharing two important and timely items in this message. Please be sure to read both sections!
Exciting Campus Upgrades
Monday, March 4, marks the start of a new era at West Side Christian Church as our partner-ministry breaks ground on a facility expansion. If you’re part of SCS, but not a Westsider, I want to make sure you’re aware of our church’s vision to fearlessly pursue Jesus and His mission. Called Fearless, the plan includes constructing additional kid ministry space and concourse areas starting this spring. It also includes a larger worship center scheduled to be open by Christmas of 2020. Westsiders are pursuing life on-mission to double our impact on this campus as we strive to bring the help and hope of Jesus to our region.
West Side will also continue generously investing in SCS as part of Fearless. We’re highlighting three SCS-related projects in this communication:
1.) New SCS Entrance: As you can see from this construction rendering, SCS will gain an attractive new entrance. Located by the SCS Playground, this designated school entrance includes a new and inviting vestibule that will serve as an appealing “front porch” of SCS visible from Veterans Parkway.
2.) New SCS Office: The church is also building a new SCS Office accessible at this new school entrance. This new office will bring security enhancements and upgrade our ability to serve students and families.
3.) Skylights: We’re also excited for an additional blessing from West Side during this season: SCS classrooms that become interior rooms (after the new kid ministry space) will be renovated to now have a skylight! We’re so pleased to have an 8’x8′ light well as a great architectural feature that still brings natural light into these classrooms.
Scheduled to begin when we get out of school for the summer, these SCS projects will be completed by the start of the 2019-2020 school year!
New SCS Drop-Off and Pickup Starts Monday, March 4
While work on these SCS projects will not begin till late May, other Fearless construction officially begins Monday, March 4. We need everyone in the SCS Family to understand and embrace three necessary adjustments to our procedures. These plans will help us operate safely and efficiently during this season of construction and change, so thanks in advance for your flexibility and cooperation!
1.) Morning Drop-Off: Whether entering campus from Cider Mill Lane (Veterans Parkway) or Westbrook Drive, we’re asking for ONE-WAY, clockwise traffic flow through campus for the 8:00 to 8:30 AM Morning Drop-Off.
- If you’re dropping off your student:
- Please join the clockwise traffic flow and continue to the designated DROP-OFF ZONE (red area on the map on the east side of the building).
- K-5 students will enter the SCS Construction Main Entrance (the east doors close to the preschool pods and indoor playground inside the Children’s Wing).
- Jr. High students will enter through The Hub doors.
- If you’re walking in with your student:
- Please join the clockwise traffic flow, but then pull into a spot in the PARK & WALK-IN Area near the North Playground Doors (yellow, L-shaped area on the map).
- Once you park, please proceed in through those North Playground Doors and walk your student to their classroom.
- NOTE: The PARK & WALK-IN Area is L-shaped and only includes the spots closest to the building. We do NOT want children to cross through the Drop-Off traffic. We’re not using the parking spots across from the PARK & WALK-IN Area directly in front of the SCS Playground.
- If you’re dropping your student off for the Before School Program (7:00 to 8:00 AM):
- Please drop off your student at the Café Entrance near the Baseball field on the south side of the building (purple on the map).
2.) Afternoon Pickup: Please locate the designated pick-up parking area for your student and park there. Once you’ve picked up your student, you’re free to exit campus safely. Please use caution, paying extra attention to other families and vehicles in the area.
- K-2 Students will be picked up from their classrooms. Please park in the K-2 Pickup Parking Area (green on the map).
- 3-8 Students will be picked up on the east side of the building from a coned area similar to our current pickup procedures. Please park in the 3-8 Pickup Parking Area (yellow on the map).
- After School Program Pickup will occur on the east side of the building at the SCS Construction Main Entrance.
3.) Accessing the Current SCS Office: If you need to visit the existing SCS Office, we ask that you park in the area across from the SCS Construction Main Entrance. You’ll use the security intercom installed at those doors, and someone from the SCS Office will “buzz” you in. If parking and coming in during Morning Drop-Off, please help us keep the drop-off traffic moving by parking closest to Veterans Parkway, and then being quick to cross the drop-off traffic.
Please share this information with any friends or extended family members who help you with Drop-Off or Pickup. Also, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. We want to do a great job communicating with you during this season (and always), so feel free to reach out if something is unclear or needs attention.
Your Partner in Christian Education,